Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service implies stockpiling and/or sharing specific content on a web server hosted by a website hosting vendor. There are different kinds of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's take a glimpse at these. In this way, you can decide what you want, based on whether you'd like to set up a website, email mailbox accounts, or to share files with mates and associates.
- File hosting: a service offered by some providers, which enables you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php website files in your browser. Free file hosting solutions frequently involve advertisements next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a particular span of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely false explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would divide the tasks at hand between different bunches of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different web hosting services (mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a sort of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some providers offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting variant is good if you wish to share a large amount of pics with comrades or acquaintances since the service is generally free. You will receive a random link for each and every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your emails. Some suppliers provide site hosting solutions for web pages, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you want to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to have a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can set up email mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video file creates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with several video files and a few hundred visitors, you may have trouble with your web page hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will allow you to have as many video files as you wish without bothering about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to run a site. To some extent, it encompasses all of the abovementioned hosting sorts since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and email addresses, upload videos, and so on. At My hosting company, for instance, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that enable you to get all of the abovementioned services in one single location. There may be limitations depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting package may be better or worse compared to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are planned for specific content exclusively.